[Icehouse] Re: Idea for Looney Labs: Martian Coasters II?

  • DateWed, 10 Jan 2007 11:33:15 -0700
(Sorry I can't stay threaded--I read the Archives.)

Carol, we know you love us, and we know you know we love you, and
"all you need is love." I ain't trying to hammer you or demand response;
rather, I am a smitten man, and you know how they can behave....

As for piecniking Xeno MC: I would do it in PhotoShop (or another) and
then print them out at Kinkos, use their roller cutter (they all have them),
and laminate them. Probably only four or five bucks, as they'd all fit in
a single lamination sheet (9" x 12"). I think. Might run a bit more, if
you have to use the roll laminator--bastidges want $3 a square foot, and
it's 3 feet wide, so you're looking at at LEAST $9. Unless you get a kind
employee, who will do a six-inch strip or will be reasonable about how
much space you use versus how they have to "use up" a lot of space when
they are feeding several objects into it.

Frankly, given that coasters are good at--well, designed, actually--to
absorb liquids, I have been tempted to laminate my own, anyway (recall
that I play and demo in bars, mostly). The slickness of lamination is
a down-side, but at least they'd last a LONG time. I am also considering
using clear acrylic or laquer, to spray them with a protective coating.
That would work better for their thickness than lamination (which will
bubble a bit at the edges, as it tries to stretch around the thickness
of the coasters). I just worry about colorfastness, spray absorption, and
whether a matte finish will come out that way in the end. I don't want to
destroy my only set (not to mention my ONE gift card!).

While we're on the subject... any reason why MC wasn't made using (one of)
your card printing providers, Carol? If you chose coasters for the gimmick
value, fine; but I think most card printers can make arbitrarily sized cards
and, thus, could have made MC for you with a light or heavy lamination from
the factory.

Just curious. Again, it's all for love....
David