[Icehouse] Trehouse set v. single stash

  • DateThu, 05 Apr 2007 13:45:42 -0700
>FRANK:
>Maybe a third category would help? Something like:
>Where Stash = a set of 15 pyramids, 5 of each size
>"Standard Stash" -- playable with any stash. Color irrelevant, opacity
>irrelevant.
>"Treehouse Set" -- playable with a Treehouse set.
>"Special Stash" -- playable with <=15 pyramids but requires additional
>specifications.

Not bad... But I don't know that we have total control over Category
definitions. If we do/could, then I'd be more inclined to start over,
call a stash a stash, and align with the general argument made by
James.

First, kill "Single stash " and "Treehouse set" altogether--I think
we've proved that they are non-meaningful distinctions. They could
become "static" pages by basically editing them--to provide link to the
new Categories below--and then re-categorizing every game that tries to
be picked up by them. Voila! If no games reference the Category, then
no listing appears on it, and only the "preamble" of links to the new
Categories is visible.

Then, create the following meaningful categories, all of which would be
found by a search on "single stash" or "treehouse":

(Using your "Stash = 15 pieces made up of 5 full nests/trees)"
* Single random stash (SRS) - May be played with one stash of any
combination of five transparent or opaque stacks and common objects.
* Single transparent stash (STS) - Can be played with one transparent
stash and common objects; seeing through all of the pieces is critical.
* Single opaque stash (SOS) - Can be played with one opaque stash and
common objects; *not* seeing through any of the pieces is critical.
* Single Treehouse stash (STHS) - Can be played with one stash of four
different colored stacks, an opaque stack, and common objects.
* Martian Coasters (MCs) - Requires a set of Martian Coasters and common
objects.

In short, the current Categorization scheme is a result of simply
slapping a Category into the wiki which matched the new, Mark II
product name. As a short-hand for "four colors of stacks and an opaque
stack," however, it could regain some utility. Yes, this means its
namesake only qualifies as an STHS game because Treehouse can be played
with any single random stack!

Further, those new categories would make for good offshoots for other
meaningful categories:
* random stash per player (RSP) - Stash defined as above, one per
player.
* transparent stash per player (TSP) - Stash defined as above, one per
player.
* opaque stash per player (OSP) - Stash defined as above, one per
player.
* Treehouse stash per player (THSP) - Stash defined as above, one per
player.
* Dual Martian Coasters (DMCs) - Requires two sets of Martian Coasters
and common objects.
* 5-way Martian Coasters (MCs+) - As MCs above, plus the Black Gift
Coaster.
* 10-way Martian Coasters (DMC+) - As MCs above, plus two Black Gift
Coasters.

OK, maybe I'm going off the deep end, but the general idea is to make it
really easy for folks to go to the wiki and search for all games that
they can play, based on only what they currently own. Oh, and keep in
mind that the VAST majority of such enumeration categories only matters
to folks starting out; once someone has five TH sets of a kind, it
flip-flops to where they will rarely find a game they CAN'T play--we're
trying, basically, to help the beginners find the handful of games they
CAN play, given the TH product in the market and early lack of five
full sets.

(I am sure the proliferation of one-stash-per-player games is legacy of
original marketing method; and there will soon be more interest in "#
TH sets" categories rather than "# stashes" categories we now have.
Hmmm... another post idea....)

>JAMES:
>Games that are both should be listed as both.

...or as any and all that apply. This would mean that the "Single random
stash" is, in effect, a "parent" of the others--if you can play with a
SRS, then you can play with an STS, SOS, or STHS, and you should list
them all. His point about good user design of what is, in effect, a
database query is very valid. Probably the best point made in the whole
discussion.
:)

SO... Take That! and Tic Tac Doh! are STS games because they need
transparency (knowing what's a nest matters) BUT, they could be played
with STHS, if one is willing to lose three moves OR if the players are
advised to avoid making nests with the opaque pieces until they are the
only ones left.

Voila! You write in that Variation qualifier/rule, and you can also tag
it STHS. But you could never tag them SRS, because it would be a
nightmare avoiding opaques.

Hmmm... neat-o. Such Categories--well documented--would actually drive
designers to think of Variations that can leverage different piece
collections. More Variations = more people who can try out your game!

Woah... head spinning a bit... I sure hope we can change/add Categories,
or that was all a BIG LONG digression.
:)
David