RE: [Icehouse] SLICK v Icehousegames.org

  • From"Christopher Hickman" <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 13 Jul 2007 14:45:41 -0400
I rewrote SLICK from the static page that it is to a dynamically generated
page in the same format using PHP and a MySQL backend a year or two ago, but
nobody had the time to put it up, I guess.  Well, that and the wiki
generally replaced SLICK...

-----Original Message-----
From: icehouse-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:icehouse-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Artman
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 12:37 PM
To: Icehouse List
Subject: [Icehouse] SLICK v Icehousegames.org

Thinking about the whole Rabbit Wiki v Icehousegames Wiki made me suddenly
ask myself, "What about SLICK? Why is it still around?"

* SLICK is at a Looney-maintained site, so it's as persistent as the whole
company.
* SLICK is not a wiki, so it's maintained internally only, by the (very
busy, shorthanded) company.

* Icehousegames.org has a TON more games than SLICK.
* SLICK seems to have some games that are NOT on the wiki and need to be
"ported" to it.

* SLICK is VERY old and its game rules are probably obsolete, for games also
on Icehousegame.org and being polished there but not copied back to SLICK.
* SLICK could be considered a historical artifact (more so, if a link to
Icehousegame.org is right at the top, clarifying that IHG.org is the actual
"place to be" now).

* SLICK is mentioned in older news articles--yep, that post about the BBC
coverage of Icehouse reminded me of dear old dottering SLICK. But HTML
*does* support the REDIRECT tag, to bounce folks straight to the IHG.org
Wiki, if SLICK is completely dismantled (after porting extra games over).

Thoughts, folks?
David