Re: [Icehouse] SLICK v Icehousegames.org

  • From"Ryan Hackel" <deeplogic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 13 Jul 2007 14:27:40 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't visited the SLICK in years; I go straight to the wiki now.  Between broken links and lack of design discussion, SLICK wasn't useful anymore.  And with the transition from monochrome stashes to Treehouse sets, SLICK is even less relevant for sorting, a feature that the wiki couldn't match but is slowly working up to via Categories.

---Ryan

 --- On Fri 07/13, Avri Klemer < avri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
From: Avri Klemer [mailto: avri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
To: icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:49:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [Icehouse] SLICK v Icehousegames.org

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I agree.  The SLICK site is reference in many
places, online and in print, usually with no mention of the Icehouse Games
Wiki.  Although SLICK was actually where I first started looking for
new Icehouse rules, having now been introduced to the Wiki, it is clear that the
elder statesman is obsolete, and in fact may be hurting the proliferation of all
things Icehouse.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>It's going to take a commitment from the Looneys
and co. to approve and facilitate the changes you suggest, but I think it is
worth the investment of time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>my 2 cents.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>a</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx href="mailto:david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>David
  Artman</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A
  title=icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>Icehouse List</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, July 13, 2007 12:36
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Icehouse] SLICK v
  Icehousegames.org</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>Thinking about the whole Rabbit Wiki v Icehousegames Wiki made
  me suddenly ask myself, "What about SLICK? Why is it still around?"<BR><BR>*
  SLICK is at a Looney-maintained site, so it's as persistent as the whole
  company.<BR>* SLICK is not a wiki, so it's maintained internally only, by the
  (very busy, shorthanded) company.<BR><BR>* Icehousegames.org has a TON more
  games than SLICK.<BR>* SLICK seems to have some games that are NOT on the wiki
  and need to be "ported" to it.<BR><BR>* SLICK is VERY old and its game rules
  are probably obsolete, for games also on Icehousegame.org and being polished
  there but not copied back to SLICK.<BR>* SLICK could be considered a
  historical artifact (more so, if a link to Icehousegame.org is right at the
  top, clarifying that IHG.org is the actual "place to be" now).<BR><BR>* SLICK
  is mentioned in older news articles--yep, that post about the BBC coverage of
  Icehouse reminded me of dear old dottering SLICK. But HTML *does* support the
  REDIRECT tag, to bounce folks straight to the IHG.org Wiki, if SLICK is
  completely dismantled (after porting extra games over).<BR><BR>Thoughts,
  folks?<BR>David<BR>
  <P>
  <HR>