Re: [Icehouse] SLICK v Icehousegames.org

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 15 Jul 2007 08:28:36 -0700
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:15:28 -0400, Kristin wrote:
> found it:  <http://www.icehousegames.com/SLICK.html>
>
> I added a link to the wiki - we could also just have this page auto
> redirect instead - what do people think?  Is there ANY value in this
> old page?  or should we just make it go away?

I think the URL should definitely auto-redirect to the wiki, (since it
has been published in various places). It might not hurt to let the
old page still be available at some other URL if someone wanted to
scan it to ensure it doesn't have anything that the wiki doesn't.

Meanwhile, I think it would also help to modify the landing page of
icehousegames.org. It currently greets the reader with this fairly
ominous warning:

	This is a fan site for games played with Icehouse pieces. We
	are *not* affiliated with IcehouseGames.com, which is owned by Looney
	Labs, the manufacturers and inventors of Icehouse.

Is there any place for this up-front and center like this? It can give
the impression that there's been some bad blood between
icehousegames.org and icehousegames.com.

Maybe just replace it with small print at the bottom, (and no
emphasis), saying something like:

	Icehousegames.org is a community site managed by fans of
	[icehouse games](http://icehousegames.com) created by [Looney
	Labs](http://looneylabs.com).

Or something like that?

Also, the way the opening page just starts with this message and makes
the user click to continue gives the feel that there's some strong
motivation for every reader to have read and acknowledged that
message. Which again feels silly.

Maybe just redirect http://icehousegames.org to
http://icehousegames.org/wiki at least until there's some sign of
extending the "offerings thus far".

Finally, if the old SLICK page is being officially retired, shall we
pick up the name SLICK for the primary, categorized list of games on
the wiki where we expect new players to first look for games? It's a
pretty slick name, and it'd be a shame not to use it.

-Carl