Re: [Icehouse] Forget I Said Anything *sigh*

  • From"Julia C. Tenney" <tenney@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 7 Aug 2007 15:22:46 -0400
Per the successful pub gaming/ pub trivia nights happening in boston:
These weren't much of a success until the smoking ban. Most of the
gamers I know locally wouldn't even consider going to bars back when
they were smoke-filled.

It's possible that the smoke-ban increases pub and restaurant owners'
willingness to consider hosting periodic game nights.

The ultimate problem is that gamers seek out a cheap place to play
games, cheaper than paying some sort of membership (a la a clubhouse
setting), cheaper than paying for enough drinks/food/games per hour to
make it worthwhile for a place to cater primarily to board gamers
(over CCGs, tabletop miniatures, bar/restaurant patrons who don't plan
to tie up a table for the entire night, etc.)

if gamers were willing to spend that much money for a daily accessible
public location, the FLGSs wouldn't be dying out.

--Julia

(Also, per the nicotine v. caffiene argument, when I drink coffee, I'm
not forcing you to drink it too. New York has a smoking awareness
campaign that more appropriately compares it to really noxious
flatulence.)