RE: [Icehouse] Ice Game Design Competition is ON!

  • Fromkerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx
  • DateThu, 09 Aug 2007 17:44:29 +0000
David Artman:
> Just pinging the list with a reminder: tell all your friends; blanket
> the board gaming sites; break out your pyramids and do some fiddling.
> Because...
>
> SO FAR, THERE ARE ONLY FOUR SUBMISSIONS! IT'S A WIDE-OPEN FIELD!
> (Those of you who have already submitted: thank you, and be sure you've
> made all the final revisions and beautifications to your rules before
> noon on August 17th. It's gonna be a fun round of judging, looking at
> the games we have so far....)

Allow me to toss in my two cents here, which are in no way endorsed by the administrator(s) of the contest:

Of course we want as many good pyramids games to be developed as possible.  That coin has two sides: "as many as possible" and "good".  Please don't enter a game just to enter one.  Too much "noise" will limit the amount of playtest time judges can spend on each game.  Also, with the votes concentrated on fewer candidates, the voting results will have a higher confidence level.

For instance, given the amount of time I personally can allocate to trying out the contest games, I will probably get in a total of let's say... 8 games.  If there are only for games, then playing two games of each will give a pretty good idea of which ones I like better than others.  If, on the other hand, the field is flooded with 16 games, then I won't be able to get to half of them AND the ones I do try will be more subject to random variation.  (e.g. A game that on average should last fifteen minutes just happens to take 90 minutes the one time I play it.)

Ryan