RE: [Icehouse] New Mixed-Colors Set Speculation

  • DateTue, 14 Aug 2007 08:42:11 -0700
> From: "Christopher Hickman" <tophu@xxxxxxx>
> But if you had one Rainbow, one Xeno, and one Eco, you wouldn't be able to
> play the 3House games!  You need 3 of the SAME set.

No, you don't. Martian Chess is color-agnostic. I'm not 100% on the
rules of Black ICE (not owning 3HOUSE yet) but it doesn't SEEM to care
about color, so long as you have smalls and mediums (i.e. guesser uses
smalls and medium opaque; master uses mediums and large opaque).

The only game to really suffer, then, is Binary Homeworlds, which would
require (most likely) a small sheet or card insert with a table of color
equivalences. I also thought of including a small set of stickers with
"action icons" that one could stick onto the set to help memory. But
stickers just seems... I dunno, klunky? Too easy to screw up? Interfere
with nesting, maybe? I dunno... I didn't like the idea, and so I wasn't
going to mention it.

Also, in one sense, color doesn't even matter in Homeworlds, as it's
just a loosely iconic representation of the *actual* actions. In that
strict definition of "color relevance," very few games are
color-relevant--off the top of my head, only Martian Coasters (and MC
Chaturanga) actually uses color **to associate to color** and not some
other effect/action. Oh, wait... there's that game which uses dice of
colors that match the stashes.... But you get my point, I think.

Anyhow, yeah, Homeworlds play is a bit of an issue with the mixed sets
concept. But it would be *so* pretty on the shelf, and that "problem"
might just get folks to fill out their favorite colored set to a 3-set
or even a 5-stash. It's not like the game *can't* be played, it's just a
bit trickier/requires a reference card.
8)

David