Re: [Icehouse] Eternal Wiki Problems

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 14 Aug 2007 19:05:23 -0400
On Aug 14, 2007, at 4:43 PM, David Artman wrote:

Brian: And NOW I see that the Rabbit wiki is not all on the Looneys;
well done, helping out (I'm fairly active there, too, but not admining).

Yeah, it was done in very close contact with the Looneys (they told me what they wanted, and I tried to do as close to that as I could), plus I'm sending them regular backups so if I happen to disappear off the face of the earth they can resurrect the wiki easily, but I'm the actual administrator and it's done on my own hosting account.

As for talking with Mike, good on ya. Copying the wiki isn't the big
task, per se (even without admin access to copy the folder structure,
etc, it's still just a manual copy process); I am wondering more about
the domain name being preserved.

It's true, copying the wiki isn't all that big a task, but there are several reasons why I wouldn't do it without permission.

1) It's impolite; Mike Sugarbaker went to all of the trouble of setting up the wiki in the first place, and I wouldn't want to just blow him off. 2) The copyright situation is, well, not really clear; there is no explicit copyright that submitted content must be under, so there's a possibility someone (Mike Sugarbaker or another contributor) could get upset about large scale copying.
3) I wouldn't want to break continuity and lose the domain name.
4) I don't know if everyone would move over to the new wiki if the old one still existed, so it could fragment the community.