Re: [Icehouse] Monochrome stashes and Loco Colors.

  • From"Timothy Hunt" <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 7 Sep 2007 07:49:46 -0500
> Right.  That's exactly what I meant with my "color is
> perception" comment.

Colour perception is a very complex thing.  Back in my undergraduate
days, I went to a conference on the use of colour in computing, and
one of the seminars was on colour perception.  Two examples  have
stuck strongly in my mind.

Lights were turned off, and then a strong white light was shone onto a
black card.  The lecturer then placed a white card so that it
partially covered the black card, and yes, we all agreed that it was
white.  He then took another card and said "if that first one was
white, what's this?"  He placed it onto the first white card... and it
was whiter, the first white card now looking slightly grey.  He
repeated this 4 or 5 times, each time the new card he placed looked
white, and the older cards turned greyer.  When the room lights came
back up, the first card was maybe a 50% grey and not white at all.

The second one involved some slides.  THe picture was of a living room
and had a yellow cushion sitting on a chair.  The second slide was a
copy of the first slide, except a small piece of translucent blue
plastic had been affixed over the yellow cushion, turning it
distinctly green.  The third slide was the same slide again, but with
the blue plastic now covering the whole slide.  If you'd taken RGB
data of the cushion, it would have been exactly the same as in the
second slide.  However, it was clearly yellow again.

In fact, you can see similar perception examples here :
http://www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/OpticalIllusions/illusions.htm
(Check out colour perception and colour perception 2, though the other
illusions are cool too!)

Timothy