Re: [Icehouse] Game recommendations

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 7 Sep 2007 08:43:04 -0400
On 9/6/07, David Artman <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For older kids, I'd definitely bring out Zendo or Ikkozendo, because
> they are so awesome for mental stimulation and creativity. But there's
> also a definite age minimum (any idea how old is old enough, Grand
> Masters and parents?).

I've played Zendo with kids as young as 8 and it's been fine.  They
seem to have problems wording their rule guesses in a way that doesn't
make me giggle, but they can /definitely/ solve beginner and medium
level rules.

Although, this is with one data point, my niece, in competition with
her brother and sister (2 and 4 years older than her, respectively).
The first time she actually beat them (ahem, "guided them to
enlightenment"), I was so pleasantly surprised.

Kids of this age (and even up to 13 years) don't seem to get the whole
"rules are harder than they seem" thing so I'd recommend rule cards or
an adult to check over the master's rule before play begins.

--