RE: Discussion paradigms (was Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter (and beyond))

  • DateThu, 04 Oct 2007 12:10:05 -0700
On 10/4/07, Don Sheldon <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> By which I of course mean "two and half, almost three."

Yeah, I should have my Gmail account on the lists, here. I just like
using my main domain e-mail with its paltry 10 MB (because it expects me
to pull down e-mails, like, every ten minutes or whatever; but I haven't
in months).

It's funny, but I actually have come to abhor offline e-mail clients,
because I have (or use) so many computers that it's a pain to try to
maintain local e-mail on just oen of them (never mind scattered across
several of them). It's the same reason I don't bother with offline HTML
editors anymore, now that I have online editors on all my sites, be they
wikis, CMSs, or forums--or just a quick FTP down, edit in Notepad, and
FTP back up of simple pages. ...And occasionally Google Docs (I NEVER
remember that I have those available for piddly stuff!).

Web 2.0, baby! Catch it!
;)

Anyhow, I have come to like forums with e-mail notifications (or
replies, usually), which is a nice bridge between keeping me free of
local applications while also giving me heads-up if things are going
down in a thread I am watching. Wikis can't do that, that I can tell--I
just looked on ours, and I could not find a "notify me via e-mail of
edits to my watch list" check box. That, too, would be a solid bridge
between offline (local) application (or online web e-mail readers) and
the amorphous beast that is a wiki.

But I'm sticking to my guns about listservs--just look at the number at
Wunderland! Register for each separately, sort out by list name into
folders (if you're AR, like I am), keep on top of deletions of threads I
don't want to save--basically, I have to manually perform the functions
that a good forum application with several targeted forums would do
automatically... well, except the "saving threads" bit--though some have
"bookmark thread" options, IIRC.

Ultimately, it's a matter of taste. But I recommend that folks not get
too attached to any local apps, because the future is thin-client,
apps-on-demand, web-based storage, and server-side execution. If, that
is, you want to use the latest software with the lightest, most powerful
machines.

Which I do...
David