[Icehouse] RE: Discussion paradigms

  • From"Ryan Hackel" <deeplogic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 4 Oct 2007 15:36:27 -0400 (EDT)

My email account at Excite has been my only email address since 1998, and I'd like to keep it that way.  Excite's storage is only 125 MB and I frequently have to parse down the emails that build up in the Looney Labs subfolder, lest it fill up in my abscence.

I do use wikis all the time, and even I think conversations on wiki pages are hard to follow.  Wikis are really meant for archiving, not talking, and that discussion pages are better as "notes to self and others" than as "discussions".  I'd rather see the actual conversation occur on a mailing list or forum, and then added to the wiki after resolution.

I still vastly prefer forums over mailing lists.  I suppose those who prefer emails can subscribe to some sort of automated digest or notification system when forum posts are added (is this what RSS does?).  Best of both worlds, eh?

---Ryan

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com