RE: Discussion paradigms (was Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter (and beyond))

  • DateFri, 05 Oct 2007 06:42:57 -0700
> From: Chris Goodwin <cgoodwin@xxxxxxxxx>
> I use gmail, with fetchmail on my primary system (Debian etch) to pull
> messages down, and pine to read them locally.  They're all still on
> gmail if I want to get them while I'm away from home.  Win win, as far

Well, yes, but we were speaking of those (benighted) among us whose
storage limits on the server won't allow for that. If I were on a
mailing list for every forum on which I participate, my mail server
would be full and rejecting within an hour. Thus, I would have to...
offload mail from the server to a local (single) machine.

And so, yeah, yeah, I could then keep that machine online, use ssh or
VPN or any number of protocols to network to it from other machines, and
thereby be able to check the mail on that machine.

Or... I could check an online repository of all "groups" mailings I have
received. Like a Yahoo Group, Google Group, forum, or listserv archive.
Now... guess which one of those is not searchable?
;)
David