Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter 2008 is ready for announcement tomorrow!

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 11 Nov 2007 14:03:11 -0500
On Nov 10, 2007, at 10:46 AM, David Artman wrote:

Brian, you may rest assured... the "David Artman Game Design Contest"
shall never again be a "risk" to this community.

I must apologize if what I said came off sounding too strong. I was not actually worried about this becoming the David Artman Game Design Contest, I just wanted to make the point that that's what could happen if you, acting as the moderator, did too much filtering of the entries that people sent in; the point is that that's the logical conclusion if you take the power too far, not that I am concerned it will happen. It was a rhetorical point, not an actual accusation or concern. I apologize profusely if it came off sounding wrong.

...In closing... anyone else here (besides me) stop to think that this
whole spinning gyre might end up totally irrelevant, that there might
not even be an "invalid" submission (or that my suggestion to appeal to the list for clemency would have solve the problem for the few we-- err,
you--may get)?

I think that you're blowing this discussion out of proportion. It's an academic discussion of how to determine what qualifies, and whether we should even try. There's no reason to take it as an attack on you or a huge spinning mess; people wanted to discuss how the design restriction would be applied, and whether it would be better to filter out things that you thought didn't meet the restriction, or just leave it up to the judges to decide how well a game meets the restriction.

Nah... easier to just make someone into the villain....

No one has tried to vilify you; some have simply pointed out that you frequently get extremely upset when people disagree with you, even if they're just trying to discuss something. I think that you have done an admirable job as administrator of the Summer IGDC, and would be perfectly happy to see you administrate the Winter IGDC, as long as you take constructive criticism and discussion in the spirit it was intended. We're all huge fans of Icehouse here, and would love to see it succeed, but occasionally we have different opinions on how to go about that. Thus, we will sometimes discuss matters and argue over things that may seem insignificant, but as long as we keep the atmosphere reasonably cordial, I think all of that discussion is for the better.