RE: [Icehouse] The IHG Wiki

  • DateTue, 19 Feb 2008 12:08:12 -0700
> From: "Jorge Arroyo" <trozo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Maybe it would be easier to migrate to a more modern code base that already
> incorporates those Web 2.0 features...

Hehe. That's a good one, Jorge! "Migrate" the wiki.

Dude, I can't even get an admin to add ONE LINK to the navigation panel;
you think we're gonna get the whole thing smoothly migrated with no
losses, when a minor JavaScript tweak takes a year?

Tilt at that windmill if you like; but I'm gonna go with more BGG
promotions and cross-linking. In the end, do any of us need another
"community portal," just for one game system? Better the wiki stay
stable, provide a repository (or an aggregator: I maintain my own site
for my games), and be the place where folks focus commentary on rules
and game play not chat or popularization/promotion.

As for the seminal comment that kicked off this thread--the competition
is "archaic"--I think Jim missed the point. I see the IGDC as a way to
do the following:
1) refine new games by having many playtesters' (i.e. judges') eyes on
each submission
2) expand the breadth and depth of game types on Icehousegames.org (we
got WAY too many "board" games!)
3) promote progressive accumulation of complete Icehouse pyramid
collections (hence 2HOUSE, 3HOUSE, 5HOUSE, etc....)
4) leverage pyramids as gaming devices that are distinct from playing
cards, building blocks, or existing board game pieces (need more
pointing and capping and such)

Making new games and getting solid playtesting and feedback will
accomplish 1 and 2 and, to the extent that the new games build upon
collectibility and pyramidness, 3 and 4. Doing stuff at BGG and other
major sites will accomplish 3 even more. The IGDC all-but-forces folks
to make new games (it compels the hell out of ME!). If it were gone, and
we did all kinds of social networking and ranking and such... what's to
fuel NEW game design or design refinement? Peer pressure or something?

Anyhow... the IGDC is here to stay, so long as I have the time to
promote and organize it (and it really don't take all that much, each
comp). If someone can and wants to expand the wiki functionality, be my
guest; but take the notion of ending the comp off the table. Iron Game
Chef grows every year, in spite of there being thousands of RPGs
available....

My $2 (2¢ is for peasants!)
David