RE: [Icehouse] IGDC - Question

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 16 Mar 2008 10:50:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Scott Sulzer wrote:

"The Competition is open to all original new games which
make use of Icehouse pyramids. A game is eligible if it was designed in
the past N months. An older game is still eligible if it has never been
published in print or been a commercial product."

Ok, umm, and just because I'm going to try and poke holes in this so that
they can be fixed before any problems arise from it.  Now, lets say I come
up with a quick little game which uses Icehouse pyramids.  It's kind of fun
and we print it in our club newsletter (which is still actually printed out
so we can pass them out to interested parties).  I learn about the IGDC at
month N+1 and submit it.  Should it be disqualified?

Yes. Because at some point you have to just make a ruling and get on with your life, and your example is contrived to make for an obvious ruling. Problem solved!

I judge this to be a less likely case than a game in somebody's notebook somewhere. Because I've had games in notebooks, but I've never had a local Icehouse club newsletter.

Perhaps a clause allowing the coordinator to extend exceptions as they see fit (meaning they don't have to explain to everyone and their dog why they did or didn't extend the exception) would be a proper addition to the rules, for just such a case.

That would be another way to do it. Of course, the coordinator can make exceptions whether there is such a clause or not.

--Z

*
Just because you vote for the Republicans, doesn't mean they let you be one.