Re: [Icehouse] Zendo rules

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 10 Mar 2009 11:46:39 -0500
karlvonl@xxxxxxx writes:
>>Playing With Pyramids says in multiple places that a koan has one or
>>more pyramids.
>Ah. Well, I didn't learn Zendo from Playing With Pyramids. I learned
>it from Kory Heath. :-) But that was almost 10 years ago; the rules
>may have changed since then.

Kory, at least here, argued against the null koan.

>Ambiguity is not unique to the null koan. Consider "AKHTBN if all of
>its blue pyramids are upright". A koan without any blue pieces is
>just as ambiguous.

As is obvious from my previous answer, I don't think this is
ambiguous; a koan with no blue pyramids obviously has all (ie, none)
of its blue pyramids upright.  Zendo pretty much breaks down (at least
in terms of having a common rule system) if you don't treat "all" and
inequalities as covering the zero case--rules assuming that "all" is
false when nothing of the set is present rachet up in complexity for
players who take the mathematical view.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'