Re: [Icehouse] Binary Homeworlds: Start player house rule and strength of banker opening

  • FromJoseph Peterson <jeepeterson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 31 Mar 2009 15:18:56 -0700 (PDT)
> The strength of Banker vs. Goldilocks depends on the
> strength of the players.

So Golidlocks doesn't counter Banker if your opponent has studied his Agrippa?  *sigh*  Maybe if I watch the show again it will get out of my head.

> (I think a green star blocks [Fools Mate], as well

How?  I can't see it.

> (Red 1, Blue 2, Green ship)  So really it just means some
> options I
> didn't think were very good are instead really
> obviously terrible.

I'm curious about your viable openings.  There are 57 first player builds that make it past my first cut.  19 each in Banker, Goldilocks, Fortress.

In some of them, I can eliminate some... like you taught me that taking a small blue star has a counter strategy that is tough.

> As far as a pie rule, I generally like pie, but I want to
> build my own homeworld.  Particularly if death is on the line,

This is my one objection to the Pie rule.  I want to pick my homeworld.

I almost wonder if it would be more fair to split the homeworld build into three steps.  I.e. First player picks a homeworld component.  Then second player picks one. First player picks second component, etc.

> Hmm... Someday I want to write down a whole bunch of
> thinking about
> homeworlds strategy and tactics, but whenever I try, I
> spend all the
> time I have without getting beyond Homeworld selection :)

Well, start with that.  ;)  Then next time you want to start, all you need to do is edit it to reflect the changed viewpoint and then you can continue.

-JEEP