Re: [Icehouse] Homeworlds Terminology

  • FromRob Bryan <2short2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 1 Apr 2009 13:57:30 -0600
Joshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Despite this, I'd forgotten about gemini starts, which, of course,
> break "2nd player goes first" even more throughly than small universe
> starts.  Being a turn behind your opponent when they have direct
> access to your homeworld from theirs is bad, bad juju.

I've played a few games with in a "microverse" - homeworlds that are
immediately adjacent.  It's not as bad as you'd think.  You quickly
achieve, and must both be careful to maintain, a detente - you can't
build many ships at your homeworld because the other guy will get the
first chance to move in and blow stuff up.  So you wind up having to
move out and go around the long (3-hop) way.  I'd actually say the
first-player advantage is about the same in a micro-verse as for
large-universe. Even in a small universe I'd say it's only slightly
increased.  In any case, that's not what I think is a problem in
second-builder-goes-first.