Re: [Icehouse] Homeworlds Terminology

  • FromRob Bryan <2short2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 1 Apr 2009 15:27:45 -0600
Joshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Any thoughts on switchback-must-large-universe as I proposed earlier?

I think it addresses the problem you see that I don't think is a problem :)
I think it doesn't address the problem I think I see, which is that
the second player can match 1 point star colors, and flip their first
turn build to that color on turn 2, and thus run out 1 points of the
given color before 1st builder can do anything about it.  This will
either produce a monopoly, or require such extreme measures to avoid
it, that 1st builder will be forced to the least extreme of those,
i.e. playing Fortress, and letting 2nd builder have Banker and first
move like we were trying to avoid in the first place.

By my main thought is that I tend to think stuff like this based on
having thought about it very briefly, but then when I actually try to
play it out, I find I missed something obvious, or at the least it's
more complex than it seemed.  So I'd be fascinated to see if your plan
is more effective than I think, or if there's a way to counter mine...

If you, (or anyone!), want's to give it a try, challenge me to an
Unrated game on SuperDuper, with whoever you want to be 1st builder
going first, and we'll agree that that player will pass their first
turn.  We can abandon the game (or not) as soon as we feel the effect
of the start conditions is clear.