Re: [Icehouse] Homeworlds Terminology

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 1 Apr 2009 16:49:47 -0500
Andy Looney writes:
>> Bluebird is an endgame mistake that involves p1 blowing up half the
>> homeworld of p2 and allowing p2 to win specifically -because- of the
>> destruction of half her homeworld.
>That's not what I call the Bluebird Mistake. (I don't have a good name for
>what you just described, but clearly it needs one.)

*nod*  The way homeworld catastrophes change the game's topology are
one of the easiest things to miss in the endgame -- either missing an
opprotunity that would be opened by a catastrophe (I've certainly sat
on a full doomsday machine not realizing it was complete because I
didn't realize my 2-away ships would be 1-away once I set off the
first half), or not seeing the way a catastrophe in the opponent's
homeworld without a full doomsday machine opens up their architecture
enough to be able to turn the tables as above.

>The Bluebird Mistake is leaving 2 ships of the same color at your Homeworld
>without any other ships for cover in case your opponent drives 2 ships of
>that color into your Homeworld.

Ah!  That makes a lot of sense given the name; I think the reason for
the confusion was that your first example also included a homeworld
catastrophe which set up the bluebird mistake (eg, opp has 2 blue
ships, one in the homeworld, you have 2 blue ships in your homeworld
and a large yellow, you sac and catastrophe their homeworld putting it
1-away from your homeworld, they sac a med yellow and win--something
like that).

>Obviously I have a host of other replies to make in this super-bloated
>thread but I'll get to them when I can. (I've been out of town...)

Hope it was fun.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'