Re: [Icehouse] Homeworlds Terminology

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 1 Apr 2009 15:22:44 -0500
Rob Bryan writes:
>move out and go around the long (3-hop) way.  I'd actually say the
>first-player advantage is about the same in a micro-verse as for
>large-universe. Even in a small universe I'd say it's only slightly
>increased.

I'll take your word for it, having not played much in a micro or small
universe (though, in fact, the typical micro or small universe does
not involve the first player having gotten to build his or her system
specifially in order to mess with the second player's builds).

Any thoughts on switchback-must-large-universe as I proposed earlier?
I think that as a variation, it does fulfil the goal that switchback
seems intended to produce -- that the player who gets to claim Banker
(or regardless, their choice of stars) doesn't get to go first as
well.

I think this fails if the 2nd player has unrestricted choice, as
anything that would stop a player from choosing banker as well going
2nd in a normal game is now reversed.  But with a restircted choice,
it seems much more interesting.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'