Re: [Icehouse] Musings on Martian dice

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 8 Jul 2009 15:47:08 -0400
> You'd have to change the TIP action for coasters to = 9 movement at least

Indeed.  Would that, with the larger die, throw things off?  I guess
we'll have to try it and see.

Well, as promised, here are my thoughts about an 8-sided action die:

Such a die would need 2 new actions for the extra sides, that
hopefully would complement the games already using them -- Treehouse
and Martian Coasters.  I have no idea what the ancient Martians might
have had, but my own creative juices started working, and eventually
came up with something.

If any of you would like to think of your own answers to that
question, you may want to stop reading and come back later.  My own
thoughts are below:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
My two new sides for a D8 Treehouse die, along with their meanings for
Treehouse and Martian Coasters:

LEAP

TH: You may move any sideways piece to any other empty spot in the
line, without changing its orientation.  ("Empty spot" means one
between 2 pieces or at either end of the line.  You may not Leap onto
or under a piece, nor Leap in place -- the practical order of the
pieces must change.)

MC: You may move to an adjacent square without an arrow pointing
there.  (I'm not sure whether to allow this just once, or any number
of times during your turn.)

REDO

TH: Roll the TH die 2 more times, and take its actions in order.  Any
further Redo rolls this turn count as blanks, allowing you to do
nothing.

MC: You may re-roll the movement die once, before using any movement
points; if you do, only the second roll counts.

WILD

Of course, the Wild side could count as Leap or Redo, as well as Aim,
Dig, Hop, Swap and Tip.

Reactions?

Bryan