Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse Game Design Competitions and Icehouse Awards

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 5 Nov 2009 13:27:43 -0500
Here are some immediate responses on my part:

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:17 AM, David Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ==IGDC & The General Public==

I am in favor of recruiting as many judging participants as we can.
Neophytes who understand the nature of the competition -- new designs,
not best of the year -- should have little problem with dashed
expectations.

> ==IGDC & Continuous Improvement==

I like both the idea of a feedback period and a lock-down judging
period.  Which I guess we've always had.  (Duh.  Sorry.)

> ==IGDC & Open v Theme==

I am not in favor of the merit-badge approach, if it means thinking up
something nice to say about every entry.  I've done that myself for
Cub Scout Pinewood Derbies, but for the IGDC it would make the awards
kind of meaningless, IMO.

But if you want to truly acknowledge different kinds of efforts --
most beautiful layout, best beginner effort, etc. -- I like the idea,
but I think the field is *way* to small to do that.  It's great for
novels, motion pictures, and computer games, but when there are only
about 6-12 entries to consider, there aren't enough to justify an
automatic award each year.

Instead, I propose only having Best Themed Game and Best Overall Game
awarded, with the option of Special Awards in any of the proposed
areas if the judges deem one worthy of it.  There could even be more
than one Special Awards in a particular area -- if two entries one
year both have very innovative mechanics, go ahead and award both.

The judging would be quite simple -- the judges give just one
score/rank/whatever for each game, they are tallied, and the
highest-scoring themed game, and the highest overall, get the two
awards.  About Special Awards, I need to check out the Game Chef, but
my thoughts in the meantime are: judges could nominate any game for
any category, and any game that gets X% of nominations gets an award;
or submit the nominees to the judges for a second round of voting.
Or, and perhaps better, have a jury of experienced iceheads give out
the Special Awards.

If there are to be to be two awards (themed and general) at a single
annual IGDC, I propose that people be allowed to enter 2 games -- one
themed, one general.

> ==Selection, Name, and Timing of Icehouse Awards==

I am in favor of a "dry run" Pyramid Awards effort this year, if the
Looneys are in favor of it, in preparation for a 20th-anniversary
event in 2011.  I am willing to help coordinate such an event, though
I wouldn't want to be the only one.

As far as names go, Apex Awards seems an obvious choice.  Obvious
enough that I googled the term, and found that it's used a lot
already:
- for "Publication Excellence"
- for "innovative garments and accessories" using Polartec
- as the name of a company in Cincinnati that manufactures trophies
- for "success, innovation, leadership, and determination [in]
Colorado’s technology industry"
- for "excellence in professional development, community service, and
cultural awareness" among the APIA (Asian Pacific Islander Americans
in Southern California)
- for "Achieving Professional EXcellence in education administration"
And that's just the first page.  So, a lot of other people also use
the name.  I still like it.

If such a thing does happen, who is the sponsoring organization?
Icehousegames.org?  Looney Labs? Both? Someone/thing else?

Bryan