Re: [Icehouse] Icehouse Game Design Competitions and Icehouse Awards

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 4 Nov 2009 23:11:59 -0500
Jeff,

These are excellent suggestions.  I very much like these points:

- Allowing improvement of the designs during the IGDC. (Hear hear!)
- Having a single annual IGDC, but recognize winners for both themed
and non-themed designs.
- Having ~3 Awards finalists played and judged during Origins. (Great idea!)

Come further thoughts I have:

- If the Looneys are OK with an Icehouse Awards during Origins, I
think it would be good to have the winner announced at Origins as
well.

- I don't think they'll ever publish "Playing with Pyramids 2".
Though I love such things, these rule collections just don't sell well
-- the first printing of PwP1 still hasn't sold out after 12 years.
For the foreseeable future, I think that the best that would happen is
that they might publish individual pamphlets for the best games,
similar to Zark City's pamphlet.

- A good way of selecting a theme for an annual IGDC needs to be
found.  One possibility would be to let potential designers submit
suggestions, and then let them all vote for all the ideas they find
interesting.  (E.g. "For each of these proposed themes, indicate how
interested you would be in designing a game for it this year: a)
absolutely; b) probably; c) possibly; d) doubtful; e) not at all.")

Bryan