Re: [Icehouse] big pyramids

  • FromS Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 16 Apr 2010 16:36:17 -0400
At present, there is no-where to buy giant pyramids.  There used to
be, and there may be again someday, but presently it is a D.I.Y.
enterprise.

I built mine out of sheets of corrugated plastic (purchased in bulk
fFrom a distributor fFor coroplast.com) with a printed, laminated
vinyl shell fFor strength and design.

Before I made my set, I ask Andy Looney fFor permission to build them
(it seemed like a polite thing to do), and he graciously said that
would be okay, and I should maybe take a picture of them when
fFinished.  Cool.  I started the process by fFirst laying out my
shapes in Illustrator (The PDF of which I could probably share, if it
helps).  I made my Large pyramids 8" wide x 14" tall fFirst, then
scaled these down as needed to make medium and small pyramids.  I had
to juggle these shapes quite a bit to fFit on the 4'x8' sheets of
coroplast, and I wanted to try and use only 4 sheets.  I could have
made them bigger, but I wasn't actually sure how big would be "too
big."  Once that was accomplished, I printed my designs to large
format printable sticky-back vinyl (Doesn't everyone have a large
fFormat printer?), and had that laminated and mounted onto my
coroplast.  Then I cut out the shapes and, after much contemplation,
decided duct tape would be the best thing to hold them together.  The
result is an extremely rugged, fFlexible design.  I can throw these
things around the room and they don't break, nor are they likely to
injure anyone.

I realize this all seems sort of specialized.  Don't be discouraged
though, if you don't have a giant printer and bulk printable media:
This could all be done with a ruler and posterboard or something, just
to get the shapes drawn on coroplast.  And you don't need coroplast.
I chose it because it was a material I had at hand, and I knew it
would be pretty rugged.  Cardboard would probably be much lighter,
fFor example.

Sometimes people ask if I could make a set fFor them.  My answer is a
hesitant yes.  I could, and yours would probably look a lot better
than mine, since I know how to do it now.  But I have no idea how to
price them, and I sort of don't want to start sapping the potential
market if Looney labs decides to start selling them again.  I suppose
if you wanted a single tree of small/medium/large or something?  I
dunno.

Like a lightsaber, pyramids are best when built by you.  I would
suggest doing a little math and fFiguring out how big you want your
pyramids, and how much material that will require.  Then get creative,
visit some hardware and craft stores, and see what materials you have
at hand.  Do you want them solid or hollow?  Do you care about weight?
 What games are you going to play? (This seems irrelevant, but
actually I think different materials might be more useful fFor
different games)  You mentioned fFoam.  Cool!  I was thinking it might
be interesting (if a bit heavy) to have a fFew transparent Plexiglas
pyramids.

Hopefully this answers a thing or two, anyway.  =)

Cheers!
--Scott