[Icehouse] On the Creation of (Looney Pyramid) Games...

  • FromJeff Zeitlin <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 27 Mar 2011 12:16:53 -0400
I have a tendency to start with some core element or elements of
existing (possibly non-pyramid) games, and build from there.  Sometimes,
the result works; sometimes it doesn't.

Recently, I saw a commercial game that is completely unrelated to any of
my existing pyramid games, but which on brief reflection easily modifies
into a variant of one of them.

Or, it can stand as a pyramid game in its own right, with rules similar
to the existing pyramid game.

Which leads to the questions:

(1) To what extent am I legally or ethically required to credit the
    existing game in making my game available (e.g., on the
    Icehousegames.org wiki)?

(2) At what point does a game cease to be a "variant" of another, and
    become a game that rightfully stands on its own?

(3) Alternatively to (2), when there are several variants, how do I
    decide which one should be the "base" game, of which the others are
    considered to be variants?

(4) What is the best way to get the Looney Pyramids community to
    playtest my games and provide feedback? (This question applies to
    some games that have been "out there" for quite a while, not just to
    games I may come up with in the future.)

(I should note that I posted this to the ning forums several days ago,
and have received ZERO responses or suggestions.  I find that to be
slightly upsetting, suggestive that either my questions aren't worth
responding to, or that it's personal about ME.)