Re: [Icehouse] [Zendo] Rule clarification [rule against external references]

  • FromS Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 30 Jul 2011 01:10:18 -0400
I would cautiously note that some Zendo Variant, played with other
equipment including light-bulbs in the Koan construction, would allow
shadows to be taken into consideration.  I have played Zendo with beer
bottles, wooden meeples, and other stuff, and the principle is the
same.  So, if your specific game uses light bulbs, then you could
probably use shadows.  I can imagine a D.I.Y. project of embedding
small LEDs inside of a pyramid to effectively create a kind of small
light bulb.  This allows at least 2 new properties of the pyramid to
play with: Light on or Light off, and in relationship to the shadow of
another pyramid.  And, do so knowing that you are treading your own
path of invention.

But no, standard Zendo does not take shadows into account.  We must be
able to build all Koans in another nation, a hundred years fFrom now,
and maintain all properties.