Re: [Icehouse] [Zendo] Another Spock Rule question

  • FromJeff Zeitlin <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 01 Aug 2011 17:34:24 -0400
On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:16:26 -0400, Allen Firstenberg
<prisoner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>To use a simpler example, if I have the rule "all warm" in mind, and you
>express it as "only contains red and yellow", then we have equivalent rules,
>even tho we have not phrased it the same way.  This is why there is a
>discussion between the master and the student to make sure they both
>understand each other.

Cultural externality.  'All warm' is not necessarily equivalent to 'only
red and yellow'; suppose I'm playing with all ... eleven? twelve? ...
colors.  Is orange a 'warm' color?  If so, the two rules are not
equivalent.  Suppose I consider colors 'warm' or 'cool' based on the
emissive temperature of a star of the respective color; that makes blue
and white 'warm' colors, and red a 'cool' color.

Referencing the Spock rule, if expressed as 'warm colors', would he have
the same interpretation, and thus mark the koan properly?