[Rabbits] [Event] Marcon 42 by Jeff Wolfe

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 30 May 2007 02:28:54 -0400
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Jeff Wolfe has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=jwolfe

========
Title: Marcon 42
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Date: May 25-27, 2007

Marcon is a science fiction convention in Columbus, Ohio (home of Origins), that takes place over Memorial Day weekend every year.  As someone who has attended Marcon for many years, I was ecstatic when I first heard that Looney Labs would be the Gaming Guests of Honor this year.  So last December, I fired off an email offering to help.  While I've attended Origins twice, Marcon was to be my first time to "don the lab coat" so to speak.  Last year at the Big Experiment, I was a Demo Rabbit in name only, but I can now say I've participated in a full-scale Little Experiment with all three Looneys and a handful of other rabbits.

I wasn't sure how much time I would be able to spend in the lab, since, as a Marcon regular, I had certain things locked into my schedule.  As it turns out, aside from a couple of trips to the Dealer's Room and the Art Show, and a few must-do events (including a panel discussion for which I was a panelist), I spent almost all of my time in the lab.  Even the planned Saturday nap didn't materialize, resulting in a 15+ hour day.

Since I log all my game plays, it's easy enough to tell what I played over the Marcon weekend.  I didn't log which were teaching games and which were not, but most of them did involve giving out stickers so people could claim Happy Flowers after playing 5 different games.  With the five-different-game requirement to claim a flower, many people wanted to play games they had never played before.

I myself played 15 different Looney Labs games over the weekend (that is, if you count variants such as EcoFluxx and Zombie Fluxx as different games; otherwise, the number is "only" 12).  I logged a total of 38 plays, led by 9 plays of Treehouse, 8 of the various Fluxxes (Fluxxen? Fluxxi?), and 5 of Zendo.  Highlights included the pre-release games Zombie Fluxx and "Secret Project 3H-1", Giant versions of Gnostica and IceTowers, and finally getting to play UberChrononauts.  For a more complete account of the games, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21921.

Between games, I got to hang out with various Looneys and rabbits, see the Stonehenge prototype Andy brought out (but, sadly, I missed the playtest of the game he has developed for it), and finally snag an Andy Looney Fluxx card for my deck.

Everyone I saw seemed to be having fun.  I know I was.  And Origins is only five weeks away.