Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

RE: [Something] Another question for the RabBrits...

  • From"Christopher Hickman" <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 16 Jul 2007 09:29:41 -0400
> Do you Yanks really have to sit through 10 minutes of adverts (or 30
> minutes of pledge wheedling)  in the middle of Dr. Who?  :-/

No, we sit through twelve minutes per hour (or rather I *would* if I didn't
have TiVo), and as for "pledge wheedling," I have no idea what that means,
so I'll go with, "Maybe we do." :) Now I see. I was imagining paying this
fee for American TV and I was boggled.  I didn't realize that your broadcast
television programs were advertisement-free.  That seems a decent value,
then.

> Probably that is the real source of disbelief from the OP, that they
> sneak around spying on your television, rather than that we pay for the
> BBC, right?

Sadly, no. Not at all. I live in the USA. I'm no longer surprised by
ridiculous government intrusions into citizens' private lives. (Don't worry,
I remain appalled.)