Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

RE: [Something] Another question for the RabBrits...

  • From"Atwood, Robert C" <r.atwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 16 Jul 2007 15:02:23 +0100
Well, the BBC is ad-free , but there's no mechanism for obtaining a
rebate on the fee by claiming 'I only ever watch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurotrash_(TV_series) etc' (though perhaps
that would be too embarassing a claim! )

And they do have ads for their own other programs, but they generally
occur between programs rather than within. Actually sometimes
(especailly for longer programs) it'd be nice to have a little break in
the middle! (I'm aware that could be solved with sufficient technology
...which would cost money...)

 > *would* if I didn't
> have TiVo)

Which you pay for, right?

>and as for "pledge wheedling," I have no idea what that means

I seem to recall occasions when the American public channel (pbs?),
which had most of the best TV (IMHO), would raise subscription money by
interrupting the program until their viewer's pledges reached some
threshold. During this break, some PBS people would wheedle ('Please
please please, pledge, then you can get back to Dr. Who/ Nova/ etc.
sooner... And support all that other stuff you like to watch ... ). Do
they not do that any more? I've been here for nearly 10 years so things
may have changed.