Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] california law to ban parental rights

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 07 Mar 2008 13:04:01 -0800
On Friday, March 07, 2008, at 03:44PM, "James Hazelton" <jameshazelton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I don't think kids should be homeschooled, but I don't think the government
>necessarily has the right to ban it. Anytime freedoms are restricted,
>citizens and politicians should demand substantial proof that the new law is
>more beneficial than freedom would be.

I'm agreed on that.  It is the parents' responsibility to educate their children, not the state.  I'm in favor of Mr. Shadegg's Enumerated Powers Act (H.R. 1359) that requires all federal legislation to be justified by specific clause of the Constitution that gives the legislature the power to legislate the topic in quesiton:
`Each Act of Congress shall contain a concise and definite statement of the constitutional authority relied upon for the enactment of each portion of that Act. The failure to comply with this section shall give rise to a point of order in either House of Congress. The availability of this point of order does not affect any other available relief.'

I'd support a similar bill for my state's legislature.