Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] california law to ban parental rights

  • FromJoseph Pate <jpate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 14 Mar 2008 15:07:22 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kimberly:

Sure, no problem.  I think I knew that you were Christian (though
maybe didn't know you were conservative as well), but the point is,
that doesn't matter.  We probably have more in common than not.

Based on my limited experiences with homeschooling so far, I
wouldn't have thought CA is HS-unfriendly.  I'm not really sure
where these LA folks are coming from on this, except to say that
CA public schools have not been great for quite some time -- there
are plenty of individually good schools, but overall, we tend to
be in the 40's of every nationwide ranking... so maybe it's just
a grab for more money to the schools.  I don't think that's the
correct way to go about that.

Cheers,
        Joe

List" <something@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Something] california law to ban parental rights
>
> Thanks for the response.
> I am a conservative Christian and don't agree with/ trust HSLDA...LOL
>
> I guess my concern is, tough it islegal, indieviual school districts
> cracking down on 'truancy' and just thinking it's OK to make our lives and
> choices miserable.I was glad to hear the Govenator stick up for parental
> freedom.
>
> I am just a bit nervous, going from such a homeschool freindly stat to one
> that is  all in the news like that.
>
> I agree thre needs to be a more specific set of terminology for disallowing
> one particular family to homeschool.
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to respond
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Joseph Pate <jpate@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I just got back from vacation, but my wife has been following this
> > since she homeschools our son and is involved in a lot of discussion
> > in an online group.
> >
> > The latest I'd heard is that the Governator will do what's necessary
> > to keep homeschooling available, even if that means working with the
> > legislators to change the laws.  Thing is, it's not illegal now --
> > i.e. any family can declare themselves a private school -- so a lot
> > of this is just political.
> >
> > One easy way to look at this -- if a private school with 100 students
> > had some serious child abuse charges borne out (i.e. proved/provable
> > in court), they would likely be shut down.  Same in this case; no need
> > to say "not only can you not be a private school, but no other family
> > can either", when you can just say "we're closing your private school
> > for reasons X, Y, and Z".  Perhaps the law may need clarification to
> > formalize this process...
> >
> > In any case, I should think banning homeschooling in CA would be an
> > exceptionally bad idea, not only for the families involved, but for
> > the already-overcrowded public schools that would need to suddenly
> > absorb a lot more kids.
> >
> > Please note also, that I don't trust the HSLDA at all [as we are
> > atheist liberals], but we do share common goals at times.  There
> > are plenty of secular homeschoolers out there too, and not just in
> > CA.  Without going into any bragging about my son's academic level,
> > putting him into any other school next year would be a big step
> > backwards in his education, and we have no intention of doing this.
> > Additionally, I want to say that I have no problem with families
> > who homeschool their children in a manner more integrated with their
> > religious beliefs (as is the common preconception about homeschooling
> > in general).
> >
> > Just wanted to weigh in as a homeschooling Californian.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >         Joe (Ankhst)

> > s=gamma;

h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-ver
> > sion:content-type; bh=yjJCzIQpq8WMdmRS66TttSLfNJ5W5tEhf0eNnL3aEMw=;

b=mpuaItFhzvnuFjGYwhG/RMx5Xv0ttdQOaFzmHU4JqJHmyw89tTZ8kU2sS6fSZaiSx5Ql+spyWFCrQ4

/yjO/vvGxNA/77oALP17vwitewqISyysHJFU1rvjaD4lGkSS2TC5RoTZ0cU25DajblwUrqbevpuwhPk0
> > j5UT4vXSS86/g=
> > h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type;

b=PG8fL4CqjJ9RHigoEI7U71IownMHgo40gwVaZvHzVwBG42VxONqVEeGATJP8sFChWF8k22YuxesS7w

AVBkI1EOnlYDZHo0RocsdE9EFZnHZLk5oRrEqxnNxOQP7T00jRjSKEF/uzTTMqwO09mlHtxFhhH28V7H