Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] I'm in My Hometown Newspaper!

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 22 Sep 2008 11:07:49 -0400
Ah, yet another "creative writing" professor who sneers at genre fiction. It seems like something they are trained to do; they all have the same sort of kneejerk reaction, and feel the need to put down genre fiction at every opportunity.

Anyone who encounters such a person might want to give them a copy of Michael Chabon's "Maps and Legends." It has a great essay about the stupid distinctions between genre and "literary" fiction that shows just how pointless the distinction really is, and celebrates the entertaining aspects of genre fiction that many fiction critics sneer at. And Michael Chabon himself was one of those acclaimed short fiction writers who wrote, in his words, the "contemporary, quotidian, plotless, moment-of-truth revelatory story[s]" that literary critics seem to like so much, before he decided that genre fiction actually has a lot going for it and started working with genre tropes and more plot-driven fiction.

-- Brian