Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

RE: [Something] I'm in My Hometown Newspaper!

  • From"J. F. Lewis" <paxdraxus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 22 Sep 2008 20:22:59 -0500
Something like that, yes.  What always confused me was that the creative
writing teacher in question was a published author... writing Southern
Fiction.  Sigh.

Oh well.  He inspired me to keep writing, so I thank him for his point of
view.  :)

-----Original Message-----
From: something-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:something-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brian Campbell
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 10:08 AM
To: General Wunderland.Com Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Something] I'm in My Hometown Newspaper!

Ah, yet another "creative writing" professor who sneers at genre
fiction. It seems like something they are trained to do; they all have
the same sort of kneejerk reaction, and feel the need to put down
genre fiction at every opportunity.

Anyone who encounters such a person might want to give them a copy of
Michael Chabon's "Maps and Legends." It has a great essay about the
stupid distinctions between genre and "literary" fiction that shows
just how pointless the distinction really is, and celebrates the
entertaining aspects of genre fiction that many fiction critics sneer
at. And Michael Chabon himself was one of those acclaimed short
fiction writers who wrote, in his words, the "contemporary, quotidian,
plotless, moment-of-truth revelatory story[s]" that literary critics
seem to like so much, before he decided that genre fiction actually
has a lot going for it and started working with genre tropes and more
plot-driven fiction.

-- Brian

http://www.al.com/press-register/stories/index.ssf?/base/living/122207496710