Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Take the BYOB Pledge, Score a Bike and a Glacier

  • Frombecca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateTue, 18 Dec 2007 14:33:35 -0500 (EST)
I've been using my own bags since 1994, when I was walking home from the
store juggling a bunch of those plastic bags and one of them tore, sending
little containers of yogurt rolling in all directions!  I much prefer
carrying bags on my shoulders to carrying them in my hands.

My local food co-op gives 10c off per bag you use.  Giant Eagle, the main
supermarket chain here, used to give 5c off, but they quit that just in
time for Earth Day last year. >:-(  However, they are now selling both
plain and insulated tote bags with their logo on them, and I see a lot of
people using them.  Trader Joe's still sells the canvas bags and also a $1
more plasticky bag.

I bring my own bags to most stores, for example Rite-Aid, Target, and
Barnes & Noble.  Occasionally a cashier gets very confused, but usually it
works out fine.

Costco is another store that just doesn't have bags.  Ikea recently
started charging for plastic bags, and it sells a wonderful huge bag made
of Tyvek-type stuff.  You can put, say, all the boxes you are taking to
the post office for holiday mailing, into that bag and carry it on your
shoulder!
---'Becca