Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Games in the Classroom

  • FromLaurie Menke <laurie_menke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 6 Apr 2006 19:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
--- Kristin Looney <customer-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> has anyone on this list played Treehouse yet?
>        http://www.wunderland.com/icehouse/Treehouse/
>
> how should we pitch the educational value of this
> new game?

Kristen,

This may not be what you want to hear, but I would
suggest you not try to market Treehouse or the
Icehouse system to educators.  My reasoning is this:
as we all know, pyramids are expensive.  They also
provide for a lot of enjoyable games that involve
strategy and problem solving, but don't really
directly hit any specific teaching goals.  They don't
involve much, if any, reading, writing, math, science,
social studies, art, etc.  Now don't get me
wrong--thinking and problem solving skills are
extremely important and need to be taught.  But with
the push for standards-based education and test
results, it's difficult to get funding for or be
allowed the time for games that do not directly
connect to a standard.  At least that's the way it is
in California.

Therefore, I would suggest you very carefully choose a
subset of your games to market as educational, and
then you include information on your web site or other
marketing venues about how they relate to standards,
and about how they can be adapted for different ages
and group sizes.

If it were me, I think I would focus on Nanofictionary
and EcoFluxx for the K-12 crowd, and add Chrononauts
and EAC to the mix for the 7-12 crowd--targeting
history/social studies teachers specifically.  Once
you have shown teachers how directly relevant these
key games are, you can be sure they will get on the
web to see if your company makes any others.  That's
when you'll sell them on the rest of your product
line.  THEN they may buy additional Fluxx games, or
Treehouse or Q-Turn or Proton for their after-school
math club, etc.

If it will help, I will try to find some time this
weekend to write up some teacher-directed sales info.
this weekend.

Laurie