Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Card Games

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 12 Aug 2006 19:57:03 -0400
I've never heard of it before. It sounds like it would work, but I'm worried it might be too complicated. I think I'd need to play it to see how it would actually work. Oh, and Carol, I saw your package in my mailbox... the nanofictionary cards... they've probably been at the school for awhile, but our secretaries didn't come back till this past week, so mail wasn't sorted for staff they knew weren't in the building. ;)

Magi

Carol Townsend wrote:

Have you looked at Just Desserts yet?

It's got food and what the food is made up of. On cards. Along with who likes what stuff.

For example, if you have "peanut butter cups" then you've got something made of chocolate and peanuts. There's people that like stuff w/ chocolate, others that like stuff w/ peanuts and some who like both - so any of those people would eat the peanut butter cups. Then there are those who don't like peanuts and (though it's impossible to think of) some who don't like chocolate. The won't eat the peanut butter cups. The people cards show what they will eat and, if they won't eat something, it's also on the cards.

There's other stuff w/ the game play (and the current rules are here:http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/JustDesserts/Rules.html ) but that's how the cards are set up. Maybe something in how those cards are set up that can help you develop your dichotomous key game? I kept trying to think of how to use it in a chemistry class because the mini-poster of all the desserts is *almost* like a periodic table (look at the bottom of the rules page, or here: http://www.looneylabs.com/OurStores/product.html?ProductID=242)

anyway, good luck!
Carol