Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] demoing edu games

  • From"David Millians" <millians.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 17 Nov 2006 11:20:23 -0500
	I use and try out games in my class all the time. As other teachers have
said, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, but mostly it's
never an issue. As my mother said, "Just close your classroom door and
teach."

	I get out Fluxx and Ice Castles often in math class.

	When I present games as educational tools at conferences, I sometimes
bring along demo games, which always includes Looney games, but whether I
do or not depends on how much time I have at the conference.

Pat Fuge wrote:
>We offer free family game nights that we have Treehouse & Fluxx available
>at every time, with Nanofictionary and Chrononaughts available for middle
>school and high school game nights.  We also bring a variety of other
>games that are designed for the demographics of the group, so there is
>plenty to do at the event.
>
>We also demo for teachers at every opportunity we get.

	I wish we had a game store like you in Atlanta!

>To get in to the schools you have to develop a relationship with the PTO
>or administration.  Often they need volunteer help with acticities or in
>the classroom.  Once you've developed the relationship offer to host a
>game night or bring a game into the classroom.  Most of the time once
>you've run one or two events they'll ask for you to come back again.

	I agree that this is one of the best ways to get into a school. You have
to demonstrate something that's will interest them.

David Millians
Games & Education
Paideia School
1509 Ponce de Leon Avenue