Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] Curriculum and Cooperative games

  • From"Kate Jones" <kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 4 Apr 2007 19:56:42 -0400

Carol wrote:

"... there's a Canadian game company that is all about cooperative games

http://www.cooperativegames.com/ <http://www.cooperativegames.com/>
and their sister site: http://childandnature.com/index.html";

Yes, these folks were a family business originally by name of Animal Town,
with a printed catalog pre-Internet. Nature-loving, family-loving, quite out
of step with the violence-centered gaming culture that captured consumers'
attention for many years. Our resources page happily includes a link to
cooperativegames.com. Long may they thrive.

"... I would love to see some good cooperative games in Ryan's eventual
curriculum, but that can't be the whole curriculum.  It isn't indicative of
our current society of game play, after all.  Most games out in the market
aren't cooperative."

Sadly, that phrase, "indicative of our current society of game play," hits
the nail on the head. We retain the old paradigms and infect subsequent
generations with them. In play form they are swallowed like a sugar-coated
poison tablet.

We should ask of each game, what makes it enjoyable, would I want to play it
again?  We should ask, is this fun to play even if I don't win?

If it's too goody-goody, that can be a turn-off, too. If it forces players
to cooperate, even to their own disadvantage whether it feels right or not,
that's not what I advocate, either. Collaboration comes closer, where by
free choice players interact with others for their own and each other's
benefit.

There are not many games out there like that, and I'd appreciate references
to existing ones. And I'd love to see more being designed.

"... I think I'd like to add in:
Break the unwritten rule of 'it has to be competitive...'"

Thank you, Carol, for expanding the dialog!

-- Kate
(She who has spoken her piece and will say no more.)