Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Curriculum and Cooperative games

  • From"Pete Darby" <pete.darby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 5 Apr 2007 13:14:19 +0100
I heartily agree with Sue: issues of competition and co-operation are a lot more complicated than a simple "either / or" statement. Co-operative games often become multi-player puzzles, competitive games can foster "spontaneous" co-operation if it's advantageous to the players (trading in Catan, diplomacy in....Diplomacy).

To declare my particular position: I'm happy with competition in games, whether against the other players or the "dead man's hand" of the designer, because games encourage the form of co-operation where "We have agreed to play this

Has anyone tried Days of Wonders' Terra?
Pete Darby
http://pete_darby.livejournal.com