Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Curriculum and Cooperative games

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 5 Apr 2007 08:14:03 -0400
On 4/4/07, Kimberly Terrill <kiter5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can you give an example of a collaborative game, please?

Does Mu count?  Mu (properly spelled with an umlaut) is a trick-taking
card game where, based on bidding, short term alliances are formed.
The player that won the bid and another player he designates are in
competition with whatever players remain (between two and four).  The
bid-winning players win or lose together and score (or don't)
accordingly.

But on the next hand, everything might be different because alliances
change every time.  The winner will (theoretically) be the person who
can recognize which other player(s) he can best cooperate with on a
temporary basis.

In the end, however, there is only one winner and because of that the
designated second will sometimes intentionally subvert his "ally."
Also, during each hand, the two sides are /very/ adversarial.

I'm having a hard time thinking of cooperative games past the handful
that have already come up, so I'm wondering if casting the net a bit
wider wouldn't be a bad idea.

--