Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Radioactive Potato timing question

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 1 Sep 2007 01:25:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Joseph Pate wrote:

I started to write a response, but it's pretty much the same as Steve's
response.  Fluxx is more or less stateless -- whenever a new rule or
goal comes into play, it's as though these had been the rules the whole
time... so even if someone only just now meets the requirements for the
goal, they win immediately, they don't need to first complete the current
turn, adhere to any limits in play, etc. before they are declared the
winner, unless there's specific card text that says otherwise.

There are two corner conditions to worry about, not one:

A: You play a goal that you fulfil, causing the potato to rotate to you.
(Do you win before the potato lands?)

B: There is a goal in play which you fulfil, but you also have the potato. You play a new goal, causing the potato to rotate *away* from you.
(Do you win right after the potato leaves, before the goal changes?)

And there are three possible answers:

1: The potato moves right after the goal changes. (A: yes. B: no.)

2: The potato moves right *before* the goal changes. (A: no. B: yes.)

3: It's simultaneous. (A: no. B: no.)

The one game I've played with potato in the deck, we ruled "simultaneous". Mostly because it's easier -- you don't have to reason about momentary states.

--Z

*
Making a saint out of Reagan is sad. Making an idol out of Nixon ("If the
President does it then it's legal") is contemptible.