Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Hand Limits Optional

  • From"Bryan Stout" <bryan.stout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 10 Aug 2008 19:42:43 -0400
A little more detail. (We had our daughter's 2nd wedding reception yesterday -- the first was a month ago in UT when she got married -- so I haven't had much time for a couple days.)

But then I started getting questions like this from Bryan Stout:

To clarify: Andy got statements like my which paragraph he then quotes. He did not get questions on the matter from me. I wasn't even on the list yet, and I was of the common interpretation of Hand Limits until I read Tim Wezner's email last week.

But that's all in the past, what about the future?

We're about to go to press with Monty Python Fluxx, plus we're about to reprint Zombie Fluxx as version 1.1 (with a few little tweaks) and later there's Martian Fluxx and someday Fluxx 4.0 and who knows what else. All of them will have Hand Limits. So what should I do for these and all future versions of Fluxx?

1) Keep using the traditional text because it's established
2) Re-write the text so that James et al will agree with the optional interpretation 3) Eliminate the option by re-writing the second paragraph as "This rules does not apply to you during your turn. When your turn ends, discard down to x."

We've been using option 1 for a long time, but I'm suddenly finding option 3 very attractive. Thoughts?

I like #3 best, as I said.  I hadn't listed the reasons:
a) It's the common interpretation of how Hand Limits work.
b) It's how Andy intended them to work.
c) I prefer that turn steps be done in strict order: Draw, Play, Hand Limit, Keeper Limit.

I also have a related request:

For future versions of Fluxx, please consider including a card that allows you to avoid some of the consequences of the dreaded Play All. I don't mind that the game sometimes forces you to make others win, but I would like there to be a strategy to sometimes avoid it (besides trashing the rule itself). It looks like Monty Python Fluxx will have the "Get On With It!" card which fulfills this role; I would like to see cards like that in other Fluxx games as well. (I remember reading once that some player changed his Play All card to Play All But One; I like that idea too.)

Regards,
Bryan