Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

RE: [Fluxx] Hand Limits Optional

  • FromSeth Ruskin <rathorne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 8 Aug 2008 15:24:04 -0400
I'd normally vote for number 2. Those I've played with have found the game significantly more enjoyable with the option than without. They feel a better sense of control of the game and it adds a level of strategy that just makes the game more fun for them.

On the other hand, we did come up with a situation where people might have an issue, even with option 2.

Jackpot

Let's say the current rules are Draw 3, Play All, Hand Limit 2. I have 2 cards in my hand (Jackpot and Death). I draw my 3 cards and each of them is a goal that would allow someone else to win. Do I opt to follow the Hand Limit and discard the goals. Now I play Death. All's well. Now I play Jackpot. I draw 3 cards and... what happens? I've chosen to follow the Hand Limit already. Do I draw the 3 and immediately discard 1 of them to meet the Hand Limit I already chose to follow, or do I get to play these three cards? If the latter, what if one of the three is also a win for someone? May I choose to follow the Hand Limit again?

Now the common answer among I play with is that you get to play the three cards and you can opt to follow the Hand Limit again. But like I said, those I play with would like option 2.

Seth Ruskin
aka GnTar, the evil Teddy Bear Rabbit.

> Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:33:04 -0400
> From: andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: fluxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Fluxx] Hand Limits Optional
>
> But that's all in the past, what about the future?
>
> We're about to go to press with Monty Python Fluxx, plus we're about to
> reprint Zombie Fluxx as version 1.1 (with a few little tweaks) and later
> there's Martian Fluxx and someday Fluxx 4.0 and who knows what else. All of
> them will have Hand Limits. So what should I do for these and all future
> versions of Fluxx?
>
> 1) Keep using the traditional text because it's established
> 2) Re-write the text so that James et al will agree with the optional
> interpretation
> 3) Eliminate the option by re-writing the second paragraph as "This rules
> does not apply to you during your turn. When your turn ends, discard down
> to x."
>
> We've been using option 1 for a long time, but I'm suddenly finding option
> 3 very attractive. Thoughts?
>
> -- Andy

Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before. See how Windows® fits your life