Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Hand Limits Optional

  • From"Rev. Bob" <redbaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 8 Aug 2008 15:07:27 -0400
On 8/8/08, Andy Looney <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is true. And that's not how I ever play it, nor how I ever intended it
> to work.
>
> 1) Keep using the traditional text because it's established
> 2) Re-write the text so that James et al will agree with the optional
> interpretation
> 3) Eliminate the option by re-writing the second paragraph as "This rules
> does not apply to you during your turn. When your turn ends, discard down to
> x."
>
> We've been using option 1 for a long time, but I'm suddenly finding option 3
> very attractive. Thoughts?

I'm torn on this.  On the one hand, I really like it that, rather than
declare a novel reading invalid and creating errata to Impose Your
Will, you went with it and embraced a more open philosophy.  Creative
thinking should be rewarded, I say.  On the other hand, a new edition
is the time to make changes if desired...but the new text will throw
people who are used to the old text, as you note in the first option.

All in all, I'd have to put my two coppers in for option 1.  Yeah, it
was an unintended result - but it doesn't break the game, so why mess
with it?

--
Robert Hood - Hixson, TN
SJG MIB #8595 - Looney Labs Rabbit - Atlas Games Mook