Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Nothing to draw

  • FromBuddha Buck <blaisepascal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 11 Jan 2009 08:07:46 -0500
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Michael Brian De Mesa
<mikelodeon11@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm with my friends who were playing Fluxx for the first time.  The scenario
> is probably the 2nd or third game they had and I'm also teaching it to a new
> comer.  It's the Zombie Fluxx, as we all know if you get unlucky you pretty
> much draw all the zombies out or its probably my bad shuffling skills.
> Also, as beginners there's a tendency to look at the cards, read them and
> wonder which to play.  I recommend for them to just play keepers for now.

In the much more common analogous situation D1P5, one quickly depletes
pretty much every hand, and people are reduced to D1P1 in practice.
However, IF their play ends up giving them more cards without changing
the D1P5 rules, then they have to play the new cards.

I think the same happens in the D5P1 scenario of the discard and draw
piles get depleted.  If the discard pile is empty, and there is one
card in the draw pile, the current player draws that card and has 4
remaining draws to make if possible.  A play of virtually any hand
limit card would flood the discard pile, and which point the discard
pile could be shuffled, and the remaining 4 draws could be made.  If
the turn ends without being able to draw all 5 cards, then the turn
ends.  This also means that the next player has no cards drawable, so
must play out of their hand.  If that player doesn't cause a discard,
the next player has to play out of their hand, etc.

Since there are many cards that can fix the situation (any hand limit,
a larger play number, etc) all of which are in peoples hands, it is
likely to be self-correcting soon enough.

Or at least, that's my take on it.  Don't ask me what happens if one
of those players is perverse enough to play "Draw 3, play 3 of them"
when the draw and discard piles are empty.