Re: [Icehouse] Volity Treehouse (and other games)

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 10 Feb 2006 08:48:59 -0600
Andrew Plotkin writes:
>When Andy tossed up the Treehouse rules a couple of weeks ago, I figured
>it would make a good test for Volity. (We want to be a good platform for
>rapid game development, right? Treehouse is rapid. :)

Coolness.  Pretty neat.

Hadn't heard about Votility, but it seems a cool platform to code to.

>I now have a working draft of the game. You're all welcome to try it.

Looks pretty good.  Is it in fact intended that Dig can't be used on a
single standing piece?

It took playing on Votility for me to find the part of the rules where
it mentions that Dig is directional.

>How well did the "rapid development" go? Pretty well. I spent two or three
>days on the server-side code for Treehouse, and about five on the user
>interface. (Treehouse is actually quite complex, UI-wise, since the six
>moves require six completely different kinds of controls.)

I like the way the controls are handled.

>At this point I'm confident that most Icehouse-style games can be
>implemented in Volity in one to two weeks. A game like Aquarius takes
>no longer to code, but then you have to draw all the cards. Fluxx and
>Zarcana are a pain for both coding *and* art -- no surprise there.

Is it suitable for a more stateful game setup (like a CCG, where you
want players to be able to keep something (decks) between
games)?

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--  "Remember the Doom Team code!" says Tom.       /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'